Telling It Like It Is

One of the most challenging parts of my job working with patients is giving bad news. I had three separate occasions of this just yesterday. I am not really talking about delivering a difficult diagnosis, although that is certainly hard. What I find even more difficult is explaining that the cause of our symptoms rarely begin when the symptoms begin. I have written before about the cause of our symptoms being very deep in our bodies (read I Treat People). If your condition is truly an acute condition then this is not the case. In acute cases the cause is clear and the reaction is immediate. However, 98% of what walks in my clinic door is not actually acute.

Acute VS Chronic

An acute illness is simply and bluntly defined as something you get, get over quickly and completely, or you die. That's it. Those are the options. If you get something and it mostly goes away, or lingers a long time, or seems to come back again and again, then what you are dealing with is a much bigger and deeper issue. There is some sort of chronic illness involved.

There is little to no difference in the effectiveness of Naturopathic treatments for acute and chornic illnesses except, here is the kicker, TIME.


In today's hustle and bustle world we want things gone and we want them gone now. However, in the case of chronic illness, this isn't possible. Taking things to cover up symptoms may make you feel better for a while but eventually that illness will rear its ugly head again, usually in a worse and less ignorable way. If optimum health is what you seek and you truly want to move towards cure it most certainly can be done, in time.

Last night I had to look a women deeply in pain into her eyes and say, "This isn't going to get better any time soon, but it is going to get better." Those are tough words to hear and tougher words to deliver, especially as a student doctor who wishes she could wave a magic wand and pull all suffering from those around her. That is beyond my ability and it is not my job. I am a facilitator of a healing process that only my patients can initiate and maintain. I am a coach, a cheerleader, a teacher, and a friend.

The healer is YOU.

With time miraculous levels of health and well being are most certainly possible.

Sarah Marshall is a candidate to graduate as a Naturopathic Doctor in June 2009. She is currently practicing as a medical intern at the Natural Health Center Portland, OR. If you would like to schedule and appointment for a personalized health consultation with her call (503) 552-1551.

No comments: